Wednesday, February 27, 2013

ScrumMaster Identity Crisis Continued


It couldn't have been more than a couple of hours from when I posted this about ScrumMasters being unsung heroes that I encountered a situation which proved my point about how ScrumMasters are so important to a development team yet so misunderstood.

Upon the completion of a project release milestone meeting, we were discussing which members of the leadership team would be on the 'About Us' portion of our site rebuild. When it was mentioned that I would be included in that group, our executive in charge of product said, "you're going to have to change your title, it doesn't do you justice." When I asked why I would be considered something other than ScrumMaster, which is what I am and what I enjoy doing, she responded with, "because you do so much more than just that."

It was a little off-putting because here is my product manager who I think is trying to compliment me, but at the same time completely misunderstanding the ScrumMaster role. Sure, I do a lot more QA than a traditional ScrumMaster (we're trying to build a QA department) and I spend a large portion of my time setting development standards and practices while focusing on the professional development of our engineers, but a ScrumMaster is the glue who keeps everything together.

We are supposed to go above and beyond to make sure roadblocks for the developers have been removed, changes in scope have been communicated, and features are delivered. We thrust ourselves into any issue facing the team and remove impediments as soon as they arise. Clearly, we face an identity crisis and have to work to convey that to our colleagues, but we should wear that as a badge of honor.  Being a flexible jack-of-all-trades is what we do. Needless to say, if I end up with my picture on this portion of our site, it will be with the title "ScrumMaster"

I'm going to be thinking about how I can better communicate what it is I do to those I work with and I'm curious to hear how you all deal with this issue at your company.

No comments:

Post a Comment